Welcome to recipes and stories from an unorganized but tasty self taught home cook/movie junkie.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tangerine Beef


So, I've been trying to eat better since the beginning of the year. So far, I've been doing pretty well. I love to cook and I love to eat, so rather than go full out on a diet, I've been trying to control portions and cooking with fresh products. This way, I still get flavor and I still get my time in the kitchen.

I have been craving Chinese Food lately. I live in an area where we have some really good Chinese Take Out, but between trying to watch what I cook and eat and trying to save money, I decided to try a new recipe: Tangerine Beef. Let's just say I am SO GLAD I made it. My husband was SO GLAD I made it. And my kids were SO GLAD I made it. If there were any leftovers, I'm sure my dogs would have been SO...well, you get the picture.

Tangerine Beef. It has a bit of prep work, so this is a good recipe for a time when you want to spend some time in the kitchen. It's also a great recipe if you want to impress someone.

Let's get started with the prep work.

You'll need about 4 Tangerines. With one, you will peel and cut into segments into a bowl. Take out any pits too.


With the other 3, you want to zest the skin. Make sure you don't get too deep or you'll get that icky white pith. You just want that fragrant zest. Already you'll be able to start to smell the citrus.



Then, juice the 3 tangerines.



Next, we do our veggies:

Broccoli, just the tops. Cut up.


Red Bell Pepper, sliced into thin strips.


About 3 or 4 scallions, sliced on a angle.


About a Tablespoon of Ginger Root, peeled, chopped and minced.



A heaping Tablespoon of Minced Garlic.


Then, we prep our beef.


It's a top sirloin, about a pound. I trimmed away some of the fat, then sliced it thin. It helps if the meat is still slightly frozen. Makes it so much easier to slice.



Now, let's start cooking!!!
In a skillet, you put about 2 Tablespoons of Veggie Oil and let it heat up. Add the tangerine zest. Let it cook until the bright orange color starts to head over to the brown color side. Don't burn it though! The oils in the zest will start to release and your kitchen is going to start to smell wonderful!


While this is cooking, add about a Tablespoon or two of flour to your sliced beef and toss. Not too much. Just a dusting of flour on the beef.


Remove the zest into a bowl. Add the beef in batches and let it brown up real nice on both sides.



Add the beef to the same bowl the zest is in.

Pour a couple of tablespoons of water into the skillet and add the broccoli. Cover and let it cook for a few minutes. Then add the peppers and scallions. Toss and cook.


The colors are unbelievable in this dish. So pleasing to the eye and they say we eat with our eyes first.

Throw in the minced ginger and garlic. Let it cook another minute or so. Meanwhile mix together the freshly squeezed tangerine juice with some soy sauce. Pour it all over the veggies in the skillet and toss.

Then add the meat....the extra segments of Tangerines for a nice garnish and...viola:


It really is a beautiful looking dish and tastes beautiful too. I served it with rice and we had Chinese Take Out without taking out! Everything was fresh, no MSG, not fattening, not greasy. And it was a big hit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment