Welcome to recipes and stories from an unorganized but tasty self taught home cook/movie junkie.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Grilled Short Ribs with Big Huge Flavor

I love this. So does my husband. And my kids. It's a great grilling recipe. The type of recipe that takes a little time to get the meat grilled to perfection. The type of grilling that means you lounge around outside, by the grill/BBQ. Watch the meat. Brush the meat. Sip your beer. Or Margarita. Or Pina Colada. Or whatever your grilling drink of choice is.

Grilling. Brushing. Lounging. Drinking. A very relaxing recipe. A perfect summer evening recipe.

First, before you go outside, you need to assemble your sauce. So, you need a whole lot of Soy Sauce.
Then lots of sweet honey to sweeten it down a bit.Then a whole lot of this:Garlic. Love garlic.

Followed by a bit of this:
Ginger. I buy it already minced in a tube. Love it. No peeling, no slicing or chopping or grating. No wasting, since I don't use Ginger all the time. You can use ground ginger too. Just not as much.

And then the Scallions. Or Green Onions. Whatever you call them, you need them. About three of them will do just fine. Chop chop. The white parts and green parts.

Whisk everything together, then put it in a pot.Grab those wonderful, fatty, meaty short ribs. Now you are ready to to grill.The sauce goes right on the grill too, so make sure the pot/pan you use is heat friendly. See that pot back there? It was my Grandmother's pot. My husband calls it the "camping pot" or the "army pot". Not sure why. He's never been camping in his life. Or in the army either. But this pot goes with me if we go on vacation to a cabin where I will be cooking. This pot has survived decades, generations of kitchens and now it continues to hold up it's glory by being cooked on BBQs and Grills all over Long Island. I'd cry if anything happens to that pot. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Now, here comes the lazy part. Just brush and grill. Occasionally flip. Brush and grill and flip. And sip from your drink. Brush. Grill. Flip. Sip. You get the idea.




I also threw a side on the grill in another favorite pan of mine.Great grilling pan for veggies. Shrimp too. This time, I chose frozen Sugar Snap Peas with a little Garlic. Grill.Grill.And Grill.Don't forget to keep brushing that sauce on too. Then...viola.... After grilling it low and slow, we get awesomeness.

To go with the Asian flavors, I cooked up some rice. I added a couple of teaspoons of Asian Stir Fry mix to the rice, then topped with the Sugar Snap Peas.
Yum.
But that meat....those short ribs....HUGE flavor!! Salty and juicy and meaty. Just awesome.





















No comments:

Post a Comment