Welcome to recipes and stories from an unorganized but tasty self taught home cook/movie junkie.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

What's for lunch? Dumplings!

A few months ago, I had it in my head to make my own steamed dumplings. Or dim sum. Or Pot Stickers. Won Tons...whatever you choose to call them. So, I went online and ordered a bamboo steamer. It came and I unpacked it, marveled at it, then put it in my kitchen cabinet where it sat, waiting to be used and loved. For months.
I finally got around to remembering to buy the won ton wrappers on Friday. And since I already had ginger and scallions in my house from last weeks Short Ribs (see back about a week), I decided the time has come to try my bamboo steamer.

I picked Ground Turkey for my filling. But, you can use pork, chicken, even tofu of some sort for the vegetarians. I threw in a diced pepper, the scallions, some ginger, and garlic and mixed it all together as if it was a meatloaf. I added a few splashes of pineapple juice to wet it a little.
I haven't even begun to cook them and yet already my kitchen smelled amazing. Like walking into a Chinese Restaurant. You just gotta love the smell of Ginger.

In a small bowl, I beat an egg.
Then, I took the Won Ton Wrapper: And I placed a small spoonful of the turkey mixture in the middle. Then, with my fingertips, I dipped into the egg mixture. I traced the Won Ton Wrapper, wetting the edges. Then tucked the turkey mix all nice and neat inside the wrapper.
You can do this different ways, really. My first one, I folded corner to corner, making a triangle. Then folded the end points in. With my second one, I kind of just gathered the ends up, making a little pouch. I like those the best. Don't forget to gentle pinch the ends together.
My Bamboo Steamer has two tiers. I lined both of them with this special parchment paper made just for Bamboo Steamers. They are round and have holes and fit quite well in the steamer.I filled the tiers with the little, bite sized dumplings. They looked so pretty. Almost professional. I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with how I was progressing along. I just prayed that they tasted as good as they looked.

I filled the bottom of my Wok with some water, then placed the steamer in the Wok. This is where the magic happens. This is where the water boils and steams those little pillows of flavor.
I took one out, to check to see if it was done. It was. And they looked amazing. It was time to taste.
I made a little dipping sauce with the leftover pineapple juice and teriyaki sauce. I dipped in, then popped it in my mouth.
It was really, really good. The only thing missing was chopsticks. But I don't know how to use those. I've tried. I just can't get the hang of it.

So, I ate another one. And another one. And another one. Then I called the kids and my husband in to eat some.

My daughter ate like 10 of them. Which is pretty amazing for a skinny bellini. My son really liked them too, but suggested putting them in chicken broth next time, like a Won Ton soup. For a seven year old, he comes up with some great ideas.
These are great and filling. Made a good late lunch for the four of us. They are time consuming. It took me about an hour to make four tiers worth. It makes a ton with just one pound of meat. Would make a great appetizer or finger food for your next get together and would definitely impress your guests, friends, host/hostess, and everyone else.
As I leave this blog for today, July 4th, I want to wish everyone a very safe and happy holiday!! Don't drink and drive. Don't let kids swim unattended. Eat well. Take time to enjoy the flavors and have a great day!!

Be sure to check back tomorrow. I'll be posting my recipes for a beef kabob and a chicken kabob. It's going to involve wonderful summer flavors!!

No comments:

Post a Comment